This year has been a rough year for many of us as we struggle through the financial hardships and losses that have been experienced by many of us as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, this has also been a year of fear, pain, and loss for Black men as they face persistent racial struggles; the pain and loss of their brothers, and the fear they may not make it home to their loved ones.
During Kwanza, an African-American and pan-African holiday which celebrates family, community, and culture, we want to celebrate Black fathers in Dane County. Kwanza is seven days, December 26th through January 1st, and each day celebrates one of the seven principles:
1. Umoja (Unity)
2. Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)
3. Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)
4. Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
5. Nia (Purpose)
6. Kuumba (Creativity)
7. Imani (Faith).
This Kwanza, the Black Men Coalition of Dane County will celebrate two Black fathers each day by providing them with $250 in gift cards. We want our Black men to know that they matter and they are valued.
Do you know a Black father who is a great role model for their kid(s) and might be dealing with a hardship this holiday season? Well, now is your chance to support them and their family by nominating them for our Kwanza Holiday Giving program. Tell us their story by filling out the Nomination Form to give them the opportunity of receiving $250 in gift cards paid for by our Coalition’s partners and donors.
1. Provide us with your name and email so we may notify you if your nominee is selected. We realize that not everyone may know our story or our struggles, so, yes, you may nominate yourself.
2. Provide us with the name of the Black father you are nominating.
3. Share their story by 1:00 pm on December 23rd and why you believe they deserve this opportunity. We will review all referrals, and two nominees will be selected each day of Kwanza. We will contact you the day before, if your nominee is being considered, in order to obtain some additional information about the nominee and to obtain their contact information.
4. Share our Facebook post with others to qualify your nominee for consideration so we can spread the message that Black fathers matter and are valued.
Black Men Coalition of Dane County will choose 14 Black fathers based on the aforementioned criteria and will meet with nominees being considered to verify information prior to selection.
Do you know a Black father who is a great role model for their kid(s) and might be dealing with a hardship this holiday season? Well, now is your chance to support them and their family by nominating them for our Kwanza Holiday Giving program. Tell us their story in the nomination form by clicking the button below to give them the opportunity of receiving $250 in gift cards paid for by our Coalition’s partners and donors.